Arizona Avenue to McQueen Road (ST1502/CHN0237D/SZ170001C) – In Construction
Construction began in February 2019 for this phase of Chandler Heights Road Improvements, with construction expected to take approximately 11 months to complete. We’ll do our best to provide current project information but please remember that construction schedules sometimes need to be adjusted due to weather, materials scheduling, utility coordination, or various other factors.
We’ll do our best to provide current project information but please remember that construction schedules sometimes need to be adjusted due to weather, materials scheduling, utility coordination, or various other factors.
- Grading crews continue work to grade the area on the south side of Chandler Heights near the Bear Creek Golf Course to prepare the area for dry wells which will be installed following SRP’s electric work. SRP crews are currently working in this area to convert overhead power to underground as part of the project, which is expected to take several weeks to complete.
- Concrete crews are working to complete work on the west side of Arizona Avenue and grading crews have begun grading the area for paving to take place, which is tentatively scheduled for sometime the week of August 19.
- Scheduled to begin next week, grading crews will also work to build the subsurface of the westbound lanes (north side) of Chandler Heights Road with paving of the base course (bottom layer) of asphalt tentatively scheduled for sometime the week of August 19.
- Landscape crews continue work to install irrigation and landscape components in the project area, currently on the north side of Chandler Heights, from Crossbow to McQueen Road with decomposed granite (DG) installation currently taking place. Once complete, landscape work will move to Arizona Avenue to begin restoration in that area.
- Electric crews continue work installing conduit for street lights and traffic signals in Chandler Heights Road, with this work ongoing over the next several weeks.
Chandler Heights Road remains open for travel during this work with traffic shifted away from the work zone as necessary. Business and resident access will be maintained and thank you for your patience during this work.
Improvements will widen Chandler Heights Road, from west of Arizona Avenue at Sunland Drive to McQueen Road, to four lanes (two lanes each direction) where improvements have not taken place. Improvements include raised medians, bike lanes, center turn lane, curb, gutter, sidewalk, street lighting and drainage improvements. This phase also requires coordination with the Union Pacific Railroad to accommodate widening of the railroad crossing, and with Salt River Project to accommodate widening at the Consolidated Canal. A public meeting was held during design in November 2016 and information from that meeting and the design phase is available below.
Environmental Documents for this phase (Arizona Avenue to McQueen) are available below: