Arizona Avenue to McQueen Road (ST1502/CHN0237D/SZ170001C) – In Construction
Construction began in February 2019 for this phase of Chandler Heights Road Improvements, with construction expected to take approximately 11 months to complete. We’ll do our best to provide current project information but please remember that construction schedules sometimes need to be adjusted due to weather, materials scheduling, utility coordination, or various other factors.
We’ll do our best to provide current project information but please remember that construction schedules sometimes need to be adjusted due to weather, materials scheduling, utility coordination, or various other factors.
- Construction continues in Chandler Heights Road with traffic shifted away from the work zone, one lane in each direction.
- SRP crews are currently working on the south side of Chandler Heights near the Bear Creek Golf Course to pull wire as part of converting the overhead electric power to underground. This work is expected to take 1-2 weeks to complete and, following this work scheduled for late September, contractor crews will begin dry well installation and complete grading in this area. In addition, work has begun to pour footings for wall installation in this area.
- Concrete crews are working in various locations to install ramps, sidewalk and catch basins.
- Later this month, grading crews will prepare the subsurface of the south side of Chandler Heights Road for paving, from Arizona Avenue to Crossbow. Paving of the south side of Chandler Heights Road is currently planned for mid to late October.
- Landscape crews continue work to install irrigation and landscape components in the project area, currently in the median islands from Crossbow to McQueen Road.
Chandler Heights Road remains open for travel during this work with traffic shifted away from the work zone as necessary. Business and resident access will be maintained and thank you for your patience during this work.
Improvements will widen Chandler Heights Road, from west of Arizona Avenue at Sunland Drive to McQueen Road, to four lanes (two lanes each direction) where improvements have not taken place. Improvements include raised medians, bike lanes, center turn lane, curb, gutter, sidewalk, street lighting and drainage improvements. This phase also requires coordination with the Union Pacific Railroad to accommodate widening of the railroad crossing, and with Salt River Project to accommodate widening at the Consolidated Canal. A public meeting was held during design in November 2016 and information from that meeting and the design phase is available below.
Environmental Documents for this phase (Arizona Avenue to McQueen) are available below: