Arizona Avenue to McQueen Road (ST1502/CHN0237D/SZ170001C)
Construction began in February 2019 for this phase of Chandler Heights Road Improvements, with construction expected to take approximately 11 months to complete. We’ll do our best to provide current project information but please remember that construction schedules sometimes need to be adjusted due to weather, materials scheduling, utility coordination, or various other factors.
- Work continues on the south side of Chandler Heights Road, on the east end of the project from Crossbow (at the SRP Canal) to McQueen with Chandler Heights traffic shifted to the north side of the road in this area.
- Concrete crews are currently working to place concrete curb, gutter and driveways with work taking place near the UPRR tracks over the next couple of weeks. Concrete work is nearing completion west of Arizona Avenue, on the south side of Chandler Heights Road with driveway work scheduled to be complete late next week. Once concrete work is completed, crews will begin preparing the area behind the new concrete for paving.
- Crews have removed the irrigation ditch on the south side of Chandler Heights west of the SRP canal and work in this area, near the Bear Creek Golf Course, includes removing existing vegetation for future new landscaping and excavation of retention areas.
- Waterline installation continues in the west side of Arizona Avenue north and south of Chandler Heights Road. Lane restrictions and possible left turn restrictions are in place to accommodate this work during daytime, off-peak hours. As this work crosses driveways, it may be necessary to restrict the driveway for the work to take place; however, crews will ensure there is alternate access available. This work is expected to take 2-3 more weeks to complete. You will be notified in advance of any planned disruption to your water service.
- Electric crews continue work installing conduit for street lights and also traffic signal work for traffic signals in Chandler Heights Road at Arizona Avenue and at Crossbow Way to relocate them to accommodate the road widening.
- Chandler Heights Road remains open for travel during this work with traffic shifted away from the work zone as necessary. Business and resident access will be maintained and thank you for your patience during this work.
Improvements will widen Chandler Heights Road, from west of Arizona Avenue at Sunland Drive to McQueen Road, to four lanes (two lanes each direction) where improvements have not taken place. Improvements include raised medians, bike lanes, center turn lane, curb, gutter, sidewalk, street lighting and drainage improvements. This phase also requires coordination with the Union Pacific Railroad to accommodate widening of the railroad crossing, and with Salt River Project to accommodate widening at the Consolidated Canal. A public meeting was held during design in November 2016 and information from that meeting and the design phase is available below.
Environmental Documents for this phase (Arizona Avenue to McQueen) are available below: