Arizona Avenue to McQueen Road (ST1502/CHN0237D/SZ170001C) – In Construction
Construction began in February 2019 for this phase of Chandler Heights Road Improvements, with construction expected to take approximately 11 months to complete. We’ll do our best to provide current project information but please remember that construction schedules sometimes need to be adjusted due to weather, materials scheduling, utility coordination, or various other factors.
- Chandler Heights Road will be CLOSED at the Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR) tracks beginning Saturday, July 6 at 6 a.m. until Monday, July 8, at 5 a.m. for UPRR and contractor crews to complete work as part of the Chandler Heights Road Project. During the closure, residents and businesses west of the UPRR tracks can be accessed from the west; and residents and businesses east of the UPRR tracks can be accessed from the east.
- Following work at the UPRR tracks, crews will grade and place concrete curb and gutter on the north and south side of Chandler Heights Road on either side of the tracks. Paving on the north side of Chandler Heights Road from the UPRR tracks to approximately Crossbow is scheduled to take place in a few weeks.
- Grading is also currently taking place on the west side of Arizona Avenue south of Chandler Heights Road to prepare this area for concrete curb, gutter and driveways; with concrete placement scheduled to begin Wednesday, July 3.
- Grading crews continue work to grade the area on the south side of Chandler Heights near the Bear Creek Golf Course to prepare the area for dry wells which will be installed later in the project. This work will take place following SRP electric work which will begin soon.
- Electric crews continue work installing conduit for traffic signals in Chandler Heights Road at Arizona Avenue and at Crossbow Way to relocate them to accommodate the road widening.
- Chandler Heights Road remains open for travel during this work with traffic shifted away from the work zone as necessary. Business and resident access will be maintained and thank you for your patience during this work.
Improvements will widen Chandler Heights Road, from west of Arizona Avenue at Sunland Drive to McQueen Road, to four lanes (two lanes each direction) where improvements have not taken place. Improvements include raised medians, bike lanes, center turn lane, curb, gutter, sidewalk, street lighting and drainage improvements. This phase also requires coordination with the Union Pacific Railroad to accommodate widening of the railroad crossing, and with Salt River Project to accommodate widening at the Consolidated Canal. A public meeting was held during design in November 2016 and information from that meeting and the design phase is available below.
Environmental Documents for this phase (Arizona Avenue to McQueen) are available below: